Newsletter August 13, 2011
- West Virginia anesthesiologists recently held a site visit for Rep David McKinley at WVU Hospital. Rep McKinley is our newest congressman, representing the first (northern) congressional district of WV. He is a friend of anesthesiologists. A professional engineer by background, he is very interested in advancing the technology of anesthesia practice. During his tour of the operating room, anesthesiologists demonstrated ultrasound-guided regional anesthesia. Rep McKinley inserted a regional anesthetic needle himself in a gel model while holding the ultrasound probe. Rep McKinley serves on the House Energy and Commerce Committee. We were able to discuss anesthetic drug shortages with him, an area this committee has jurisdiction over.
Rep David McKinley in the WVU anesthesiology office, wearing coverall and face mask after visiting the WVU operating rooms. (L-R) Drs Brian Grose, Richard Driver, David Graf, Rep McKinley, Robert Johnstone
- WVSSA will hold its Annual Education and Business meetings in two weeks, on August 27 and 28, at The Greenbrier in White Sulfur Springs. The meetings are free for all WVSSA members. The educational program is very good, approved for 3 hours of CME, and timed so that members can attend the noon inauguration of Mary Ann Cater, DO as President of the WV State Medical Association. Dr Cater is a WVSSA member practicing in Wheeling.
Saturday, August 27, 2011
In conjunction with the WV State Medical Association
8:30-9:00am Evidence-based Anesthesia for Total Hip and Knee Replacement
9:00-9:30 Postoperative Pain Therapy
9:30-9:50 Maternal Fever and Labor Epidural Analgesia
9:50-10:00 Coffee break
10:00-10:30 Fire Safety
Robert Johnstone, MD
10:30-11:00 Opioid-Sparing Strategies: Are they Effective?
11:00-11:30 Local Anesthetic Toxicity
11:30-11:45 Panel Discussion
Fikry Attaallah, MD
Assistant Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, West Virginia University
David Hardman, MD, MBA
Associate Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Robert Johnstone, MD
Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, West Virginia University
John Rowlingson, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology, Department of Anesthesiology, University of Virginia
- We are working with the ASA to bring our state society membership registry up to date. This means adding and dropping anesthesiologists who have moved their primary site of practice during the past year. Thus you may receive an e-mail from the ASA office asking which state should be your component society. All ASA members must belong to a component society. Our current WVSSA roster shows an increasing membership:
- We hope many WVSSA members will attend the ASA Annual Meeting in Chicago in October. Features of the meeting include:
- Over 1,200 educational offerings presented by more than 700 physicians and colleagues.
- Earn up to 44 CME credits.
- Opening Session featuring Dr. Atul Gawande, one of TIME Magazine’s 100 most infuential people.
- Chicago’s arts, music & architecture, gourmet restaurants, and more
Also all WVSSA members at the Annual Meeting are invited to attend a WV reception on Saturday at 7PM at the Hyatt Regency Chicago, the headquarters hotel.
- Thanks to the many WVSSA members who have contributed to the ASAPAC this year. We face many legislative and regulatory challenges as healthcare reform rolls out. The PAC is an organization that helps inform legislators about our important issues. Contributing is easy, and can be done on line at, www.asahq.org/ASAPAC. Or members can send a check for $100 made out to ASAPAC to the WVSSA Secretary (Robert Johnstone, 369 Lakeview Drive, Morgantown 26508), and he will submit it and obtain a PAC button for them. If you have not yet contributed, please do so now.
2011 PAC Contributors
2011 WVSSA officers and their e-address:
President/Alt Delegate Stuart Cornett, MD - Edgar.Cornett@shcr.com
President-Elect/Delegate Brian Grose, MD – firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretary-Treasurer Robert Johnstone, MD – email@example.com
Director Alex Skaff, MD - ASkaff1Ace@aol.com
Alt Dir/Delegate David Graf, MD – firstname.lastname@example.org
Alt Delegate Russell Stewart, MD – email@example.com
Robert Johnstone, MD